Name: Philippe HUETZ
Born: April 14, 1963 in Mulhouse (France)
How you can contact me (clic on image):
Headings: Research interests / University studies / Postdocs / Publications / Communications / Miscellaneous / Schools, Masterclasses, Conferences / General
December 2006 - : Scientific Director of ABC&T: 'Association de Biophysique Computationnelle et Théorique', whose aim is the following: to constitute an independent fundamental research facility allowing the implementation of theoretical and computational investigations of biological systems through biophysical or quantum chemical approaches.
- December 2002 - June 2005: Associate Researcher at the "Laboratoire de Physique Moléculaire" of the "Faculté des Sciences et Techniques" of Besançon (University of Franche-Comté). Work financed by the "Ligue Régionale du Doubs Contre le Cancer" (Besançon and Montbéliard committees), France. Collaboration with several laboratories, including the "Laboratoire d'Histologie" ("Faculté de Pharmacie Médecine", Besançon), the "Laboratoire de Génétique et Biologie Cellulaire" (University of Versailles/St Quentin), the "Laboratoire de Microanalyses Nucléaires" (Besançon) and the National Institute of Chemistry (Ljubljana, Slovenia).
- See resume (pdf format) -
- July 2005 - June 2006: Researcher of the 'Ligue Régionale du Doubs Contre le Cancer', Montbéliard committee, France.
- carcinogenesis, reactivity
- ion channels
- protein folding
University studies and research
In Strasbourg (France, Louis Pasteur University):
- - DEUG ("Diplôme d'Etudes Universitaires Générales") B, oriented Biophysical Chemistry (1987).
- Licence: Biochemistry (1989).
- Master I: Biochemistry (1990).
- Chosen specialties: Organic Chemistry, Immunology.
- Master II ('Diplôme d'Etudes Approfondies'): Physical Chemistry (1991).
The experimental part was prepared in both the "Ultrasons et Dynamique des Fluides Complexes" laboratory (Prof. R. Cerf, Institut Le Bel) and the Enzymology Laboratory (Prof. J. Bieth, Institut de Pharmacologie).
In this work, I gained experience in the expression and purification of a mutant enzyme (trypsin D102N) and studied the ultrasonic absorption properties of the two enzymes a-chymotrypsin and a-lytic protease.
- PhD: Biophysics (1994).
Thesis supervisors: Dr. J.-C. Voegel (Centre de Recherches Odontologiques) and Prof. P. Schaaf (Institut Charles Sadron, Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolécules).
Title: "Study of the reactivity of antibodies towards their antigens adsorbed at a solid-solution interface - Dynamic aspects of interfacial processes".
- Summary (clic) -
- Thesis (complete) pdf format (in French, 3.4 Mo) (clic) -
My Ph.D was financed by a grant from the "Ministère de la Recherche et de la Technologie" (December 1991 - November 1993), whereas from December 1993 to November 1994, I was Associate Assistant of the Universities at the Faculty of Dental Surgery of Strasbourg. During this last period, I gave, in the framework of a course on Biomaterials, a Physics lecture intitled: "Transport properties in solution, thermodynamics and kinetics of adsorption, techniques for studying interfaces".
At the beginning of my thesis I performed a number of experiments aiming at studying the interaction, in dynamic conditions, between antibody covered latex beads and antigen coated surfaces, as a model system for the study of the adsorption of blood cells on the wall of a blood vessel or biomaterial. During this time I had a training period at the "Ecole Normale Supérieure" in Lyon, France, at the CNRS/Biomérieux laboratory, group of Prof. Ch. Pichot.
- Some details about this work (clic) -
In Groningen (The Netherlands) [39 months]:
- Postdoctoral position in the 'Molecular Dynamics and Computational Biophysics' group
(Prof. Dr. Herman Berendsen and Dr. Ir. J.G.E.M. (Hans) Fraaije), Biophysical Chemistry Dept, University of Groningen, February 1, 1995 to April 30, 1996.
The project was financed by a Human Capital and Mobility (HCM) institutional grant from the EC, and was entitled: 'Biomimicking of multicomponent lipidic supra-aggregates'. This project has implied my integration in three laboratories: Molecular Dynamics, Electron Microscopy and Organic and Inorganic Chemistry.
- Aims, work, references (clic) -
- Postdoctoral position in the 'Nuclear Magnetic Resonance' group (Groningen Biomolecular sciences and Biotechnology institute (GBB), BIOSON, University of Groningen) of Dr. Ruud Scheek, September 1, 1996 to August 31, 1998, on the subject 'Folding of Proteins' (cf *), in the framework of an EC Training and Mobility of Researchers (TMR) network. This project implied my commitment in two laboratories: NMR and Biochemistry.
- Work, references (clic) -
- Ball, V., Huetz, Ph., Elaissari, A., Cazenave, J.-P., Voegel, J.-C. & Schaaf, P., Kinetics of exchange processes in the adsorption of proteins on solid surfaces, I - Homomolecular exchange, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91 (1994) 7330-7334.
- Huetz, Ph., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J.-C., Mann, E.K., Miras, B., Ball, V., Freund, M. and Cazenave, J.-P., Reactivity of antibodies on antigens adsorbed on solid surfaces, in Proteins at interfaces II - Fundamentals and Applications, T.A. Horbett and J.L. Brash Editors, ACS Symposium Series 602, Washington, DC, 1995, pp. 334-349.
- Huetz, Ph., Ball, V., Voegel, J.-C., Schaaf, P., Exchange kinetics for a heterogeneous protein system on a solid surface, Langmuir 11 (1995) 3145-3152.
- B.A.C. van Vlimmeren, M. Postma, P. Huetz, A. Brisson, and J.G.E.M. Fraaije, Functional Langevin models for the mesoscopic dynamics of surfactant aggregation in solution, Phys. Rev. E. 54(5) (1996) 5836-5839.
- Philippe Huetz, Stephanie van Neuren, Philippe Ringler, Felix Kremer, Jan F.L. van Breemen, Anno Wagenaar, Jan B.F.N. Engberts, Johannes G.E.M. Fraaije, Alain Brisson, Relationship between molecular structure and supramolecular morphology of DODA-EO2-biotin and related lipids, Chem. Phys. Lipids 89 (1997) 15-30.
- Philippe Huetz, Christophe Ramseyer, Claude Girardet, Ab initio study of the influence of conformation on partial charge distribution of dioctadecylamine, Chem. Phys. Lett. 380 (2003) 424-434.
- Ph. Huetz, E.E. Kamarulzaman, H.A. Wahab and J. Mavri, Chemical reactivity as a tool to study carcinogenicity: reaction between estradiol and estrone 3,4-quinones ultimate carcinogens and guanine, J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci. 44 (2004) 310-314.
- Mylène Compoint, Christophe Ramseyer and Philippe Huetz, Ab initio investigation of the atomic charges in the KcsA channel selectivity filter, Chem. Phys. Lett. 397 (2004) 510-515.
- Céline Boiteux, Mylène Compoint, Philippe Huetz, Christophe Ramseyer and Claude Girardet, Analysis of the sequence KWKWK...K in the KcsA protein channel using Molecular Dynamics simulations, Internet Electron. J. Mol. Des. 4 (2005) 235-248 (www.biochempress.com).
- Philippe Huetz, Nasim Mavaddat and Janez Mavri, Reaction between ellagic acid and an ultimate carcinogen, J. Chem. Inf. Model. 45 (6) (2005) 1564-1570.
- M. Compoint, C. Boiteux, P. Huetz, C. Ramseyer, and C. Girardet, Role of water molecules in the KcsA protein channel by Molecular Dynamics calculations, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 7(24) (2005) 4138 - 4145.
- Philippe Huetz and Valérie Poux, Carcinogenicity of Benzo[a]pyrene Diol Epoxide Stereoisomers: a Linear Free Energy Relationship study, J. Mol. Struct. THEOCHEM 764 (2006) 167-176.
- Philippe Huetz, Céline Boiteux, Mylène Compoint, Christophe Ramseyer, Claude Girardet, Incidence of partial charges on ion selectivity in potassium channels, J. Chem. Phys. 124 (2006) 044703.
- Stéphane Chrétien, Christophe Guyeux, Bastien Conesa, Régis Delage-Mouroux, Michèle Jouvenot, Philippe Huetz and Françoise Descôtes, A Bregman-proximal point algorithm for robust non-negative matrix factorization with possible missing values and outliers - application to gene expression analysis, BMC Bioinformatics 17(Suppl 8) (2016) 284. [pdf]
- B.A.C. van Vlimmeren, M. Postma, P. Huetz and J.G.E.M. Fraaije, Computer simulation of meso-scale phenomena: pattern formation in biomimicking complex fluids, Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 65 (Suppl. 1) (1996) 140.
- A. Brisson, P. Huetz, P. Ringler, S. van Neuren, F. Kremer, H. Fraaije and J. Engberts, Functionalized lipid tubules: a tool for helical crystallization of proteins, Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 65 (Suppl. 1) (1996) 140.
COMMUNICATIONS (posters [P], oral presentations [OP]):
- Forum "Jeunes chercheurs en odontologie" (Strasbourg, France, October 1992): "Etude dynamique de l'adsorption et de la réactivité antigène/anticorps de protéines plasmatiques sur les parois d'une surface de silice" [P].
- 10th "Journées du Collège Français de Biomatériaux Dentaires" (Strasbourg, France, June 1993) [P].
- 207th International Congress of the American Chemical Society (ACS): "Proteins at interfaces" (San Diego, USA, march 1994): "Reactivity of antibodies on antigens adsorbed on solid surfaces" [OP].
- Seminar "Fluids at interfaces" (Lunteren, The Netherlands, February 1995) [P].
- BIOSON lecture (Groningen, The Netherlands, February 28, 1995): "Reactivity of antibodies against antigens adsorbed at a solid/liquid interface. Dynamics of a protein heterogeneous ‘exchange' process" [OP].
- SCHLOESSMANN-Seminar (Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Mainz, Germany, June 1995): "Biology and materials science" [P].
- 5th Annual BIOMOS Meeting, September 6-8, 1995, Burg Arras, Alf-Mosel, Germany. Goal: fostering of contacts between the Groningen and Zurich computer simulation groups. [OP] intitled: "Contribution towards a rational analysis of lipidic supramolecular assemblies formation: a work example".
- LB7: 7th International Conference on Organized Molecular Films (Numana, Italy, September 10-15, 1995): "Towards a rational analysis of lipidic supramolecular assemblies formation and protein 2-D crystallization" [P].
- GBB Symposium (Biological Center, Haren, The Netherlands, September 29, 1995) [P].
- BIOSON lecture (Groningen, The Netherlands, April 4, 1996): "First steps in understanding the formation of supramolecular assemblies of structure-related artificial lipids: a combined effort of MD, EM and OMAC's groups" [OP].
- GBB Symposium (Biological Center, Haren, The Netherlands, September 19, 1996). [OP] : "Self-assembled tubular lipid assemblies: suspected mechanisms".
- GBB symposium (Biological Center, Haren, The Netherlands, October 1, 1997) [P].
- EU Training & Mobility of Researchers Network: Structure and dynamics of intermediate states in protein folding, 1rst annual meeting (in conjunction with EU TMR network: Biomolecular complexes mediating membrane biogenesis and translocation), EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany, October 31 - November 1, 1997, "C10S mutant of enzyme IIB Cellobiose (IIBCell) of the phosphoenolpyruvate dependant phosphotransferase system (PTS) of E. Coli: unfolding/refolding as a function of denaturant concentration and temperature, preliminary results from a circular dichroism (CD) study" [OP].
- Presentations of the IFRAM to the "Rotary Club Mulhouse Europe" (Mulhouse, France, September 6, 1999) and to the "Conseil Général du Haut-Rhin" (Colmar, France, May 9, 2000) [OP]: exposé of the scientific projects of our team, in the aim of obtaining a financement.
- Invited seminar by "Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research" in the "Profiling Group" (Basel, Switzerland, December 10, 2004) [OP], intitled: "Theoretical approaches for ionic channels modeling - Some results on KcsA potassium channel".
- 10th European Symposium on Organic Reactivity (ESOR10), Rome, Italy, July 25-30, 2005: "Chemical reactivity as a tool to study carcinogenicity: computational studies" [P].
- Invited seminar by Prof. Ursula Röthlisberger, Laboratory of Computational Chemistry and Biochemistry, EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland, October 20, 2005) [OP], intitled: "The potassium channel KcsA: MD and ab initio studies - new insights with partial charge calculations - Chemical reactivity as a tool to study carcinogenicity".
- Vth Workshop on Molecular Theories and Simulations, Gaeta, Italy, May 12-14, 2006 : " Molecular Dynamics and ab initio calculations on the potassium channel KcsA: importance of partial charges, ions and water behaviour " [OP].
- Conference, "UFR des Sciences Médicales et Pharmaceutiques" (Besançon, France, January 8, 2009) : "Projets abordés au sein de l'Association de Biophysique Computationnelle et Théorique : tour d'horizon" [OP].
In July/August 1988, in the "Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Moléculaire des Interactions Cellulaires", by Doctor Marcel MERSEL (Centre de Neurochimie, UPR 416 - CNRS, Strasbourg): synthesis of a 7-ß-hydroxycholesterol derivative.
August - September 2000: Freelance scientific proofreader for the scientific and medical Editions Elsevier in Paris.
September 1999 - January 2002: President and researcher of the IFRAM: Independent Fundamental Research Association Multidisciplinary, which I created and whose aims were: to constitute a group of scientists doing independent fundamental research; to encourage a multidisciplinary knowledge exchange between researchers; to favour diffusion of scientific knowledge in a spirit of social welfare concern and humanitarian progress.
SCHOOLS / MASTERCLASSES / CONFERENCES
I followed the following schools:
- 8th International Summerschool on "Fundamental problems in statistical mechanics", Altenberg, Germany, June 28 - July 10, 1993.
- Winterschool in Storlien, Sweden, April 2-5, 1997: "Biophysical aspects of protein folding".
- Speakers (clic) -
I participated to the following GBB masterclasses (University of Groningen, The Netherlands):
- "Hydrophobic Interactions and Protein Folding", May 15-17, 1995.
- Speakers (clic) -
- "Membrane proteins: reconstitution in lipid bilayers and 2D crystallization", May 6-9, 1996.
- Speakers (clic) -
- "Protein NMR: beyond structure determination", March 23-25, 1998.
- Speakers (clic) -
I attended the following conferences:
- - IIe Colloquium "Electron Microscopy of Biological Macromolecules", Groningen, March 27, 1995.
- NATURE's 3rd International Conference in Europe, Paris, April 27-28, 1995: "The science of complex molecular systems".
- NVBMB (Dutch Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) Meeting, Groningen, May 12, 1995: "Membrane proteins: from sequence to structure".
- Meeting of HFSPO Project (Human Frontier), Groningen, May 22-23, 1995: "Protein structure determination by electron crystallography of two-dimensional crystals".
- SON-werkgemeenschap voor Eiwitonderzoek (work group for research on proteins), Lunteren meeting, December 7-8, 1995.
- Symposium: "The dynamics of biostructural research" (10 years of BIOSON), June 7, 1996.
- NMR Symposium (Organon NV, Oss), October 25, 1996.
- SON-werkgemeenschap voor Eiwitonderzoek, Lunteren meeting, December 9-10, 1996.
- GBB / BIOSON / BioMaDe (Bio-Organic Materials and Devices): many lectures on different topics.
- English: read, spoken, written ("TOEFL", Test of English as a Foreign Langage, obtained in 1991).
- Some German, some Dutch.
National Service done in 1983/84 in the "Musique du 153ème RI" of Mutzig (clarinet).
- Violin studies at the "Conservatoire National de Musique" of Mulhouse (1970-1978).
- "Harmonie Municipale" of Mulhouse (clarinet, 1975-1983).
- Member of the editorial board of the journal "Sciences in vivo" of the "Amicale des Sciences" at Louis Pasteur University, Strasbourg (1987).
- University Orchestra of Strasbourg (violin, 1985–1990).
- University Orchestra "MIRA" of Groningen, The Netherlands (violin, 1995-1998).
- Philharmonic Orchestra "De Harmonie" of Groningen, The Netherlands (violin, 1995-1998).
- Advanced violin course, Groningen (1997-1998).
- Member of the "Est VideoCommunication Haut-Rhin" cable net surfers defense club (1999-2000).
- Association "Polonia" (traditional Polish music) of Mulhouse (violin, 2000-2001).
- Active participation to the french movement "Sauvons la Recherche" (2004-2005).
- Philharmonic Orchestra "André Stapffer" of Besançon (violin, 2010-).
Italy, England, Germany, Hungary, The Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, United States, Switzerland...
I like to write poems, to read, to play chess, my violin, discovering nature, macrophotography...